Saturday, August 18, 2012

Flowered Prickly Pear


Never ever in my wildest dreams that I would be posting this, but here goes:

Terry Medaris is coming to Ohio!   He will be teaching two of his Prismacolor pencil classes at Marco's Paper in Centerville (near Dayton) on Saturday, August 25.  If you are anywhere near Dayton, YOU NEED TO CALL MARCO'S RIGHT AWAY AND RESERVE A SEAT!  Terry Medaris is an amazing artist/instructor.  I flew all the way to San Diego to take these classes, and trust me when I say this...it was worth it!  What I learned influences my coloring every day...even when I use different mediums.  I am so excited that some Buckeye colorists are going to get treated to such wonderful instruction on shading, blending and color selection.  Woot!

I thought I'd better get my Prismacolor pencils ready...you know, make sure they are sharpened and that I haven't lost any or anything.  I want to be prepared Saturday.  To practice, I stamped the Terry Medaris image of "Flowered Prickly Pear" onto Bristol Smooth paper with Stazon Jet Black Ink.  I colored the image with Prismacolor pencils and sprayed with a Workable Fixative.  Then I framed the image panel with black cardstock.  The large card panel is patterned paper from Lasting Impressions.  It too is framed with black cardstock.  I added a sheer brown ribbon and bow to the card for the finishing touches.  I don't like to embellish much when it comes to making cards with Terry's images.  My eye says none are really needed.  Why detract from these amazing images?


I hope if you are in anywhere in Ohio, Kentucky or Indiana you will make the trip for a wonderful day of coloring with one of the best...Terry Medaris!

4 comments:

Melinda Gleissner said...

Your coloring on this is exquisite! Love the shading and dimension. And you're right, it doesn't need anything else. Is this a newer image?...never mind, I'm going to go look. It's fantastic.

Susie said...

How in the WORLD have I missed your blog and your SCS gallery! I live in Surprise, Arizona and thought I was the only one who knew Terry Medaris! He comes to the Mesa Stamp show in the Fall and Spring and I'm right there watching him color every time. He's AMAZING. I have wanted to take a course with him FOREVER!! I absolutely adore your color blog design - it's beautiful. I feel like I've found a coloring sister. I posted a card using one of his designs and it didn't get any notice (I thought maybe it was just to out there for most stampers because it wasn't the usual image). I'd love for you to visit my blog and gallery. And, you're absolutely correct. The same principals and techniques apply with pencil and Copics (I am Copic certified too). I'm just so excited this evening to see your post and SCS upload.

Very Sincerely,
Susie (Paperpunchscissors on SCS)

P.s. Here's my Terry Medaris piece: Finding the Balance - http://www.summerwalkdesigns.com/2010/11/finding-balance.html

Joan Ervin said...

OMG, Kecia, your coloring is spectacular...WOW, girl!!!! I gave my Prismacolors to my granddaughter for a school project....I wonder if she will let me borrow them...LOL!!!! If I see Terry's name in Texas sometime, I will have to sign up for his classes....thanks for the info!!!

Lisa Lara said...

I love this prickly pear and your gorgeous vibrant coloring Kecia girl.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...