Monday, May 30, 2011

A Day To Remember



Today is Memorial Day in the United States. Time to pay tribute to those who have fought and to those who continue to fight for our freedom. I made this card last night with that in mind. Thank you, Heroes.

This morning I awoke to the rattling news of the resignation of Jim Tressel. So, in Buckeye Nation, we are dealing with the raw emotions of that. It's the kind of news where you remember where you are when you hear it. I was nine when Woody was fired and though young, knew it was major. I was a senior in high school when Earle was fired, and stayed home from school the next day because I was sad and had listened to the radio all night to figure out "WHY?". (I still don't know "WHY?"). I was relieved when Cooper was fired after the Outback Bowl in 2001, though a very nice man, he just didn't get Ohio State football. And today, on Memorial Day, I am dealing with the news that the Tressel era is over.

My Facebook status reads: "It was time. I am sorry that he was asked to resign. I wish he would have done it on his own months ago. I think the timing certainly suggests the turbulence ahead (starting with the SI article that hits the stands tomorrow). I am sad, and mad about the mess that is now OSU football, but I am also grateful for the decade of memories. What a fun ride it was. Thanks so much for 1/3/03, Tressel. I loved every second."

So that aside, it is important that Buckeye Fans, including myself, not lose sight about what today is really about. Which is why this card was made.

The adorable digital image called "America Tootle" was a freebie from Broken Box Designs that was posted right after the Bin Laden news a few weeks ago. I snagged it and thought it was very appropriate for today's card. I printed it onto X-Press It cardstock and colored it with Copic markers. Red cardstock and patterned paper from Lasting Impression form the the layers to this card. Some paper piercing, patriotic ribbon, a star brad and computer-generated sentiment complete the card. Some light touches with Stickles make the stars sparkle.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog today. I usually try to stick with stamping when it comes to my posts so I am sorry about the the events of today weighing so heavily on my mind. It is a part of me.

Go Buckeyes!
Go USA!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...